Bethesda seeks a dynamic, service-orientated, Deacon dedicated to Christian faith and active discipleship for youth and their families as well as all generations. A Deacon will strengthen our ministry by planning, coordinating, publicizing, and implementing programs and events for children, youth, young adults, and families; actively promote an inclusive and welcoming community and to work for racial justice; and nurture the growth of our church by building and maintaining strong, faith-filled relationships and rapport with all. This full time position requires a flexible schedule as hours vary and include evenings and weekends.
- Collaborate with Pastors to cast the vision for ministry among children, youth, young adults, and families.
- Guide the Christian Education and Youth Ministries (CEYM) board and leadership to coordinate and implement the vision for ministry among children, youth, young adults, and families.
- Provide spiritual care and sound Biblical teaching from a Lutheran perspective to all ages of youth.
- Promote Christian faith and active discipleship through their daily life.
- Work with parents and youth from diverse backgrounds to establish relationships of trust.
- Plan and implement various ministry events and youth programs that are engaging, fun, and faith-based for children from birth through high school, and their families with collaboration with the Pastor(s) and support of the CEYM Board Chairs, ministry team leaders, church members, and other professional staff.
- Create, build, and maintain strong, faith-filled relationships and rapport with parents and youth to encourage youth participation in Bethesda sponsored events, using their gifts for ministry within the church and community.
- Create a sense of community so that people will know each other better and feel like they belong to a church family.
- Develop and implement youth and family community outreach and service projects.
- Recruit parents/adult sponsors for activities as needed for educational youth programming and overnight retreats or extended youth trips, group projects, etc..
- Coordinate the work of a volunteer staff and ensure annual training is provided to all volunteers in the Youth Ministries programs.
- Master’s degree in related field
- ELCA Ordained Deacon in good standing
If interested in more information, contact:
Pastor Dan Kuckuck
Assistant to the Bishop for Leadership and Congregational Transitions
Southeastern Iowa Synod — ELCA